Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Wrapping things up....

My time in Cambodia is wrapping up and coming to a close....  I am quite sad, as well as a bit relieved, to be returning home.  It is hard to put into words the emotions I have gone through since I've been here.  In less than two months, I have experienced what it is to give oneself to the service of others; it is a profound act that is far more valuable than any souvenir or object of remembrance.  I learned that I'm not all that interested in being a tourist... I'd much rather go to another country to work and contribute the skills and knowledge of which I have been so fortunate. I have made many friends during my brief stay and I now feel I have a connection to Cambodia.  Perhaps someday I can return and pick up where I left off.

The staff, students, and volunteers at Sustainable Cambodia were amazing. Even though I was an "unofficial volunteer" (due to the fact my stay was less than the required 4- 6 mos. stay), everyone welcomed me into their daily routines and activities. In a short time, I was able to accomplish a lot:  (1) I visited remote villages where bio- sand water filters were demonstrated, (2) I observed the installation of water collection tanks and visited many families using bio-sand and rainwater collection systems, (3) I taught English to Khmer schoolchildren, (4) I gave a solar energy demonstration to rural children in Kravanh, (5) I trained the school librarian in Pursat on a new inventory/checkout database, (6) I consulted with SC staff with digital video editing, (7) I helped a student set up a blog, and (8) had a great conversation with a young student who was interested in conducting art classes.

After I leave Cambodia, I hope to stay in touch with the many amazing people I met through Sustainable Cambodia. Notably,  Dimang (expanding the Kravanh school blog), Sothea (digital video editing), and Lin, the Pursat school librarian (database).  On the morning of my departure from Pursat, Soknay Sorn (the "Boss") met with me over coffee and graciously invited me back to work with SC in the future.  Of course, his invitation was music to my ears! 

So today, Friday, June 11th, I will return to Phnom Penh for a couple days of relaxation and will re-introduce western food into my diet! I also plan to engage in a few tourist activities and take in the last bit of Phnom Penh before my final departure back to the United States on Sunday, June 13th.....

No comments: