Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

My arrival...

I arrived in Phnom Penh on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 11:35 am after enduring the long flight from Austin/Los Angeles/ Taipei, Taiwan/ Phnom Penh...  total of about 15 hours in the air with little walking and sleeping.  Eating, on the other hand, was plentiful but it was quite an adjustment to be served dinner at what seemed like 3:00 am!  But hey, I'll eat anytime...!

I'm a window- seat person and love to see the landscape from above when I fly.  Approaching Phnom Penh was a bit surprising in that it was not a grid of lighted neighborhoods and industrial development that I was so accustomed to seeing in the U.S., but rather,  it was a grid of rice fields and agricultural plats delineated by only dirt roads.  Few houses, no cars, no infrastructure, no blinking twinkles of urban development.

The city itself was a colorful mosaic of rooftops and buildings-  blue, green, yellow, red.....   lots of color (whereas the States is quite gray)!  Very few cars!  And lots and lots of mopeds and motorcycles.....

No comments: